The Early Years: 1900-1922
Right Reverend George Montgomery, D.D. was the first American Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles, which included 98 priests, 42 churches with priests, 35 Mission stations, and 19 parish schools that were serving about 59,000 Catholics.
At a civic event on August 22, 1900, Bishop Montgomery saw a need for a Catholic church in Long Beach. There were about six Catholic families in the neighborhood of Long Beach at the time; trying to attend Mass meant traveling to Saints Peter and Paul Church in the city of Wilmington.
Mrs. J. M. Morris was a woman of action despite being 70 years old at the time. With the support of her husband, Captain James Morris, who was Protestant, Mrs. Morris placed a notice in the Press-Telegram on June 24, 1902, inviting all Roman Catholics of Long Beach to a meeting at the home of Mrs. John Ena. She was very angry over a conversation she overheard between two men, who expressed placing obstacles in preventing Catholicism to gain footing in the City of Long Beach. An account of the meeting appeared in the Press-Telegram the following Friday, reporting that a permanent organization had been formed, 2 acres of land had been donated by F. E. Shaw, and over $1000 had been pledged. The land donated by Mr. Shaw was traded in return for land closer to the heart of the city; the property at the corner of Sixth and Olive was received. Judge Wall and Captain Morris purchased the adjoining lots to allow for expansion. On September 16, 1902, ground was broken and the foundation completed by September 30th. Bishop Montgomery attended the laying of the cornerstone on October 19, 1902, assisted by Father Ferrer who would be the first pastor. The cost of building the church was approximately $3,500. Furnishings, an organ, and a beautiful onyx credence table were donated.
The First Saint Anthony Church and School
The newly assigned Bishop Conaty, who succeeded Bishop Montgomery, celebrated the first Mass on July 19, 1903. The church had a seating capacity of about 200. An organ loft extended part way over the church accommodating 50 more.
Bishop Conaty had intended to send a priest every two weeks from Los Angeles to celebrate Mass and administer the Sacraments, but when he saw the size of the congregation at the dedication, he decided they needed a Mass every Sunday. Father Ramon Ferrer was assigned parish priest of both Compton and Long Beach, and traveled that distance every Sunday. This was eventually difficult, as Fr. Ferrer had trouble reaching Long Beach in time for Mass in order to fulfill needs at Our Lady of Victory Church in Compton, and it led to complaints to the Bishop. They requested the Bishop give them a resident pastor ; the Bishop agreed and sent Father James Reardon in April 1907.
Father Reardon was faced with two problems: the need for a larger church because the congregation had outgrown the small wooden church; and the need for a school, which was being requested by many families. He decided to build a small school first and asked the parishioners for pledges. His dream was to establish a tuition-free school that would receive financial support via pledges, which would allow children to receive a Catholic education, regardless of their parents’ financial ability.
He asked a parishioner, who was a contractor, to build a small building facing Olive Avenue. The first Catholic school in Long Beach opened in September 1907 with an enrollment of 40 students up to and including the ninth grade. Unfortunately, many people did not keep their pledges and the school was forced to close in 1909. The building was then used for meetings of the various church organizations and Sunday School classes.
The Second St. Anthony Church and School
Fr. Reardon had his rectory moved to Lime Avenue to make room for the new church. Plans were drawn up and the cornerstone was laid on October 24, 1913. The original church was moved to the back of the property and later to 1804 Cerritos Avenue where it served as a Mexican mission. The new church was Tudor Gothic design, made of red brick with two towers and a statue of Saint Anthony over the entrance.
The interior, with a seating capacity of 600, had stained glass windows, and an altar of Carrera marble, made in Italy, weighing thirty tons. The two side altars were of the same marble. The church was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1914.
Father Reardon went on to build a second rectory. In 1916, he saw the fulfillment of his dream of a parochial school. Four sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary came to Long Beach at his request; he turned the rectory into a convent for them and moved into a section of the old church. He later started the building of a third rectory.
The second Saint Anthony School was a frame building of six rooms, built at the back of the church, facing north on Sixth Street. It was dedicated on September 29, 1919 and opened with an enrollment of 125 students, ranging from kindergarten to eighth grade.
Sister Gabriel I.H.M. was the first principal. Father Reardon had the joy of presenting diplomas to 12 students in June 1920.
Most of these students remained to form the nucleus of the high school department, which began in September 1920 in a second story addition erected that summer. Students from other schools transferred in and the first High School graduation took place in June of 1923 with 2 seniors graduating and 29 students promoted from the eighth grade.
Father Reardon was transferred in February 1922 to Oxnard where he died suddenly in March 1923. He had witnessed the growth of Saint Anthony from 250 communicants to over 2000 at his departure. The schedule had grown from two Masses each Sunday to six, an increase that was necessary even though Saint Matthew Church at Temple Avenue and Seventh Street opened in 1920.
The Growing Years: 1922-1935
Rev. John Hegarty succeeded Father Reardon, and, like him, contributed much to the growth of Saint Anthony. This included the completion of the third rectory.
School enrollment grew steadily and the need for better accommodations was apparent. Space was a problem as the church, the rectory, the school, the Sisters’ convent, and playgrounds were all crowded together in the quarter block at Sixth and Olive. Fr. Hegarty appointed a Building and Advisory Committee of parishioners and secured Bishop Cantwell’s permission for his program. The remainder of the block was residential property, which was acquired through an intermediary for the sum of $60,000.
In the summer of 1922, Fr. Hegarty had the convent moved across Sixth Street to have it closer to the proposed site of the new school and to make room for the present rectory. Pledges were made and City Council gave permission to close the alley to enable a school to be built on Olive between Sixth and Seventh Streets. The three-story building would include a roof-playground and a basement for clubroom and parish activities.
It was decided to use most of the new building for a grade school and add a one-story building for the high school. The project was completed at the cost of $100,000 and dedicated on May 22, 1927.
Increases in the number of Catholics in the city brought about the opening of Holy Innocents Church at Twentieth Street and Atlantic Avenue and the formation of a new parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, using the old Saint Anthony Church building at 1800 Cerritos Avenue in 1923. In 1926, Saint Athanasius Church was opened on Linden Avenue and Market Street in North Long Beach.
Father Hegarty was transferred on April 29, 1929 to be the pastor of Saint Joseph Church in San Diego and to assume the deanship of that city and the Imperial Valley.
Rev. Robert E. Lucey replaced Fr. Hegarty. It was during Father Lucey’s pastorate that the devastating earthquake occurred on March 10, 1933.
The Sisters in their convent were startled when their Benediction service was thrown into a turmoil as the Monstrance fell to the floor. The convent had been shaken off its foundation.
In the priests’ house, the front porch gave way and fell from the front of the structure. The elementary school was completely wrecked and the small, one story high school building was used for double sessions, where Sister Ruth taught first grade students in the chemistry lab every afternoon. The greatest damage, however, was seen in the church, which crumbled as its mighty towers fell. The beautiful imported Carrara marble altar crashed into a million pieces and fell through the floor into the basement. The new organ was smashed and fell from the loft to the floor. The damage was estimated at one half million dollars. The great marble altar was dismantled and the stained glass windows removed. The church itself would have to be torn down.
A tent was erected in the schoolyard to hold church services at regular hours on Sunday. During the week, the tent would be used for school classes. The men of the parish were successful in saving all the furniture of the wrecked church and the pews, which would be used in the tent.
Another severe tremor struck on October 2nd, which wrenched the southwest walls of the high school building from a portion of the roof, and the building had to be condemned. Some classes continued in the tent; children were crowded into every available space even while the building was under construction.
The school suffered significant damage — the brick facing had been torn off, part of the building buckled, plaster was falling from the walls and ceiling, and the windows and doors had been damaged. The building was rebuilt and completed in the fall; it was rededicated on October 29, 1933.
In addition to the earthquake, this was the year that the Great Depression struck bottom. However, Father Lucey and his devoted parishioners were determined to rebuild a new church on the ruins of the old one.
The Third St. Anthony Church
The cornerstone for the third church was laid on December 10, 1933. It had a seating capacity of 750. The altars and windows of the old church were able to be used in the reconstruction. Fr. Lucey had to ask those who had taken pieces of the marble altar as souvenirs to return them so they could be used in the reconstruction. The new Church was dedicated on February 4, 1934.
The need for another Catholic church brought about the announcement of the building of Saint Bartholomew’s Church on Livingston Dr., which was dedicated on March 12, 1939.
Father Lucey was appointed Bishop of Amarillo, Texas on May 1, 1934. His replacement, Monsignor Donahue found that the task of collecting money to pay for the building that was destroyed as well as all the rebuilding overwhelming. He was reassigned in 1935.
Father William Stewart assumed the pastorate in 1935. He received significant support from his two associates and the congregation to collect funds. He died in September 1938 while visiting family in Ireland.
Pastorate of Monsignor Bernard Dolan: 1938-1968
Monsignor Dolan arrived in November 1938 and immediately began work. He paved the schoolyard and increased the playground space by purchasing the lot on Sixth Street ending at the alley. His concern for the Sisters’ living conditions led to the building of a new convent at the corner of Sixth Street and Olive Avenue, which was dedicated on May 4, 1940. He developed the garden at the rear of the Church and restored and installed the statue of Saint Joseph, made of Italian marble, which was in the old church and damaged by the earthquake.
The major interest of Monsignor Dolan was the schools. Although the Sisters had conducted a coeducational high school since 1921, Monsignor wished to establish a central high school for the boys in the area. In April 1941, he purchased the lot on Olive and Seventh streets and laid the foundation for the Boys’ High School in June 1941. The construction of the building was due largely to the generosity of Mrs. Mary C. Young who wished it to be a monument to her mother, Doctor Mary Young Moore.
Monsignor Dolan asked the brothers of the Holy Cross to run the school. In September 1941, five brothers were sent from Notre Dame and Brother Hyacinth, CSC, was appointed principal. He remained at Saint Anthony until 1945.
While the school was under construction, the Brothers and Sisters shared in teaching the classes. By December 1941, the new school was complete with a library, science labs, and classrooms. Both girls and boys departments shared the library and science labs. Student body assemblies and meetings were held jointly.
In 1942, the nation was at war and all high schools were asked to include military training in some form in their curriculum. The Victory Corps was established at Saint Anthony High School including divisions for Air, Land, Production, and Community Service. Brigadier General James J. Meade and his advisory board trained and directed the student cadets.
Saint Anthony High School had fielded interscholastic football, basketball, and baseball teams since the 1930s but had no regular practice facilities. In 1946, an 11 acre site in Lakewood was acquired and a stadium was built there.
Monsignor Dolan decided to use the old lot to build a gymnasium. It was named Saint Anthony Catholic Center and was dedicated in April 1948. At a cost of $300,000, it was Long Beach’s most modern gymnasium with facilities for a full-scale athletic schedule. It was air-conditioned and built to accommodate 3,400 people for graduation exercises and up to 2,100 for basketball.
Under the direction of Monsignor Dolan, a tremendous program of building and expansion took place. The Sisters’ convent added an annex to provide 28 private bedrooms for the 26 Immaculate Heart nuns who taught in the girls’ high and grade schools. In 1950, a residence for the Holy Cross brothers was built with 18 bedrooms, a chapel, patio, and recreation room plus quarters for a cook and housekeeper. There were 14 brothers teaching at Saint Anthony in 1952.
An article in the Tidings newspaper on September 26, 1952 declared Saint Anthony school as the largest in the West. Approximately 2000 students were attending its three school departments; enrollment figures for the Fall semester show there were 704 students in the girls’ high school, 696 in the boys’ high school, and 585 in the grade school. Only 675 of these pupils lived within the parish boundaries.
In 1952, the Tidings reported that each year 9 or 10 vocations to the Sisterhood were found among the senior class at St. Anthony High School. Nine graduates from the class of 1952 were in the Immaculate Heart Novitiate at Montecito. Three nuns on the faculty at that time were alumnae of Saint Anthony. The Boy’s High School sent five of its 1952 graduates to Los Angeles College Junior Seminary.
The number of Catholics in Long Beach continued to grow. Saint Barnabas Church at Carson Street and Orange Avenue was dedicated in 1941. Saint Cyprian on Clark Avenue near Del Amo Avenue and Holy Innocents on Willow Street and Pacific Avenue were both opened in 1944. Our Lady of Refuge at Stearns Street and Clark Avenue was dedicated in 1948, followed by Saint Cornelius, at Wardlow Road and Bellflower Boulevard in 1951. Two years later Saint Pancratius opened in Lakewood. In 1955 both Saint Joseph’s at Willow Street and Palo Verde Avenue and Saint Maria Goretti at Palo Verde near Carson Street were dedicated. Saint Anthony is the mother parish of this area from whose original boundaries 27 parishes have been carved.
Monsignor Dolan pursued his dreams to make major building improvements in the church, especially as the celebration of Saint Anthony’s Fiftieth Anniversary arrived. In 1953, he had the church building cut in two pieces and moved the entrance out 30 feet to the sidewalk line to increase the seating capacity. Construction was then started on restoring the two main towers that were on the second Church, which had been destroyed by the earthquake. The towers are 80 feet tall, built of reinforced concrete with facing of cast stone and blue, red, and gold mosaic tiles, topped with gold crosses. A new front was then built between the towers to form a large vestibule made of marble and terrazzo tile.
Golden Jubilee (1954)
In celebration of the church’s Golden Jubilee and the Marian year in 1954, a 24 by 34 foot mosaic depicting the Assumption of Our Lady into Heaven was placed above the main entrance. The mosaic work was done in Rome under the close supervision of Vatican officials and fashioned after great art masterpieces, notably the famous painting by Borgognone, which hangs in the Brera Gallery in Milan.
At Mary’s feet are Saint Peter and Saint John. At their left are depictions of a church layman, a priest, Pope Pius XII, and Archbishop Cantwell who dedicated Saint Anthony Church in 1903.
At the right are portrayed Cardinal McIntyre, Bishop McGucken and Bishop Manning, and two church laity. The Holy Spirit is represented as a dove at the apex of the mosaic. Also included in the main panel are the Apostles, gazing in wonderment at the tomb. They are flanked by Saint Anthony on the left and Saint Dominic and two sisters of the Immaculate Heart on the right.
Just below the mosaic, over the portal of the church’s main entrance is a representation of Christ and the words “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.” Twelve individual adjacent mosaics represent the patrons of neighboring Long Beach Catholic churches: Saint Pancratius, Saint Anne, Holy Innocents, Saint Barnabas, Saint Bartholomew, Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Our Lady of Refuge, Saint Matthew, Saint Athanasius, Saint Cyprian, Saint Lucy and Saint Cornelius.
Five foot marble statues of Saint Anthony and Saint Francis stand in niches. It took nine months to complete the mosaics in Rome and another three months to install them. Msgr. Dolan, Fathers James Hansen and Leland Boyer, Sisters of the Immaculate Heart, teachers and students from the high school assembled sections of the design on the gym floor. Monsignor Dolan said it was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle and estimated it took 2,500,000 pieces of mosaic.
Work on the interior of the Church was taking place at the same time. It included the installation of rose-colored marble floors from Italy, walls paneled from floor to the base of the windows with pastel marble, new pews, and mosaic depictions of the Stations of the Cross. A magnificent mosaic was placed above the main altar depicting the life of Saint Anthony in three distinct panels.
The elementary school had been moved in 1942 from the main building on Olive Avenue to the one-story building facing Sixth Street that was originally used for the high school. Sister Leonella was serving as principal of the Girls’ High School and the elementary school.
In 1955, the Elementary School was moved to a new building on Fifth Street and Alamitos Avenue, where it currently stands today. A second story was added using a new method of lifting pre-formed concrete slabs atop the first story.
In 1961, Father Joseph Sartoris, now retired Bishop Sartoris, was an associate pastor at Saint Anthony who facilitated the changes from Vatican II. He took the time and patience to teach the community how to respond in English at Mass and receive Communion in the hand. He explained why the changes came about and how they were more in line with the early church. He also taught the community to sing the responses during Mass and with the choir.
Monsignor Dolan continued his outstanding work until his sudden death in 1968 while on vacation in Apple Valley, California.
Pastorate of Monsignor Gualderon: 1968-1994
Monsignor Gualderon came to Saint Anthony in September 1968. In 1969, following the dictates of Vatican II, Monsignor had the marble altar cut away from the backing and moved forward so the priests could face the congregation while saying Mass.
Another change that came about through Vatican II was that nuns were no longer required to wear habits and were encouraged to complete their college educations. The Immaculate Heart Sisters wished to implement these changes but Cardinal McIntyre did not want them to do so. They had planned to phase out those Sisters who were teaching but needed to complete their Baccalaureate degrees over a period of years but the Cardinal was vehemently opposed and ordered them all to leave the schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese at the end of the school year. As a result, all 28 Sisters left Saint Anthony schools and moved their ministry to other areas. Over 130 Immaculate Heart Sisters had served Saint Anthony schools since 1916. Their leaving was a great loss.
The last of the Immaculate Heart sisters to leave Saint Anthony convent in 1968 was Sister Mary Beata. Mary graduated from Saint Anthony High School in 1937 and entered the convent of the Immaculate Heart Sisters. That graduating class had 18 students who entered the religious life. Mary became Sister Mary Beata and worked in several local parishes. She came back to teach at Saint Anthony High School from 1949 to 1955. She was then sent to other areas but returned to serve as vice principal of Saint Anthony in 1965. She was the only sister to celebrate her twenty-fifth Jubilee at Saint Anthony.
Monsignor Gualderon was desperate for teachers for the schools and got 10 Sisters from the Order of Saint Francis in Syracuse, New York to fill the void. The Sisters were assigned with 5 to the high school and 5 to the grade school. The increased cost for additional lay teachers made it necessary to combine the Girls and Boys departments of the high school.
The elementary school needed more play area so Monsignor Gualderon purchased the three remaining houses to the south of the church facing Olive Avenue. These houses were torn down and the area was paved for parking and playground space.
Funding for the schools was an ongoing concern. The neighboring parishes of Saints Matthew and Bartholomew had to close their grade schools but Monsignor Gualderon had a strong commitment to keep Saint Anthony open. He made contact with high school alumni who had successful careers. They helped him establish the Saint Anthony High School Foundation fund. Other alumni continue to support the school through the annual golf tournament.
In the 1980s, the neighborhood began to change. This brought about changes in the parish, including the addition of Spanish Masses. Spanish Masses began in 1985, by order of Archbishop Mahoney.
In 1986, Father Abelardo Lopez arrived and strongly supported training sessions for the Liturgy. He formally established the community celebration of the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe and supported the live representation of the Stations of the Cross in Spanish.
Father Porfirio Alvarez came in 1988 and started the first Spanish Youth Group, which was one of the most active groups in the parish for many years.
It wasn’t until the year 2000 that efforts begun in 1982 were successful, and a Spanish speaking Religious Education program was formed.
Another indicator of the diversity forming in Saint Anthony parish was seen in the change of the use of the original church from a Spanish mission. In 1986, it was converted to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cambodian Catholic Mission, the first Cambodian Catholic church in the nation. It was led by Father Rondineau, who united the Cambodian Catholic members in Long Beach. Currently, it continues to serve the Cambodian community with a bilingual mass in Khmer and English every fourth Sunday of the month.
At the request of Monsignor Gualderon, Saint Anthony Church was declared a City Cultural Heritage Landmark on January 11, 1990 by action of the Long Beach City Council. The recommendation made by the Cultural Heritage Commission was based on its historical significance as the Mother Church of the Catholic community in Long Beach, the distinctive Gothic Revival style architecture, and its strong visual presence, which make it a neighborhood landmark.
The Holy Cross brothers left the high school in 1994, due to a smaller number of new vocations. About 126 Holy Cross Brothers had served Saint Anthony school since 1941. Their work was greatly appreciated and their presence was missed. This placed a greater burden on the parish and its struggle to maintain the schools.
Monsignor Gualderon retired from active work as pastor in 1994 but continued to serve Saint Anthony parish as Pastor Emeritus until his death from a heart attack on September 29, 2003. He will be long remembered for his devotion to God and love of music and sports. He sang with many of the Big Bands prior to entering the seminary and was still willing to perform his favorite song, “Danny Boy” at the annual Saint Patrick’s Day Dance up until his last year.
Pastorate of Father Lawrence Caruso: 1994-1997
Father Lawrence Caruso was assigned as parish administrator in September 1994. In time, Monsignor Gualderon became Pastor Emeritus and Father Caruso assumed all the duties of pastor. He was very eager to expand parish involvement. Under his encouragement, the Spanish-speaking ministry groups flourished.
Fostering the spiritual growth of the parish was a top priority for Father Caruso. He implemented Rite of Christian Initiation program in English and Spanish to provide instruction for those who wished to become full members of the Church. He fostered the growth of Bible Study groups in English and Spanish.
Father Caruso focused much time and energy on turning around the declining enrollment in the high school. He worked with Bishop Sartoris to make needed changes in updating the curriculum and faculty. He assumed the role of Principal himself from 1996-1997.
It was a great shock and loss to the parish community when he died suddenly while jogging on New Year’s Eve, 1997.
With the assistance and financial support of the Caruso family, the Father Lawrence Caruso patio was complete. It has built-in tables and benches with shade umbrellas, an outdoor cooking area, a bathroom with access for the handicapped and a memorial bust of Father Caruso.
Father Joseph Canna served as parish administrator after the sudden death of Father Caruso until June 1998 when Father Richard Krekelberg was assigned pastor. Father Canna was then reassigned as pastor to Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in Irwindale.
Pastorate of Father Richard Krekelberg: 1998-2004
Father Richard Krekelberg arrived at Saint Anthony parish in July 1998. Due to the sudden death of Father Caruso, it was necessary to pick up the plans and projects that he had intended to complete. Father Krekelberg worked on several remodeling projects including the conversion of the Sisters’ convent into a parish center, which was later converted back to a convent that currently houses the Verbum Dei Mission Fraternity.
Father Richard initiated the renovation of the Parish Hall with a new sound system, drapes, stage floor, and paint. It was renamed the Monsignor Gualderon Hall.
Unfortunately, Father Richard became ill in November 2003 and had to take an extended leave. Father José Magaña, his associate, was named the parish administrator, and was later named pastor of St. Anthony. He remained as pastor until 2018.
The Centennial year opened on June 2, 2002, with the celebration of a special liturgy. The main celebrant was Cardinal Mahony, along with Bishop Sartoris and other priests who had ties to Saint Anthony parish. Special guests included city officials, pastors of Long Beach churches and priests, brothers, and sisters who had served at Saint Anthony. A reception was held in the Father Caruso patio and schoolyard following the Mass.
The Centennial Year celebration concluded with a series of events on the weekend of June 13-15. On Friday, June 13, Saint Anthony Feast Day, a special liturgy and prayer service was held followed by a small reception in the patio. An international food fair was held in the parking lot on Saturday, June 14. Sunday, June 15 was the official closing ceremony. This began with a large group of parishioners meeting in front of Mount Carmel before processing to St. Anthony. It included drummers, people in native attire, and Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus members in full regalia led by Father Richard Krekelberg. The Mass was celebrated by Bishop Sartoris.
Priests who Served at St. Anthony Parish
|1902||Rev. Ramon M. Ferrer, First Pastor|
|1904||Rev. Johanes S. Lubacher|
|1906||Rev. M. J. Connelly|
|1907||Rev. Jacobus A. Reardon, Second Pastor|
|1908||Rev. P. J. McGratei|
|1909||Rev. U. J. Ryan|
Rev. Thomas A. Lilly
|1910||Rev. James A. Donahue|
Rev. John Reynolds
Rev. L. P. Craney
Rev. Leo J. Heiser
Rev. B. E. Naughton
Rev. Josephus Donohue
|1911||Rev. S. F. Cain|
Rev. Victor Fallen
|1912||Rev. Daniel Reofrio|
Rev. P. J. Mc Grath
|1913||Rev. Michael Galvin|
Rev. M. J. Kelly
|1914||Rev. J. S. Loughan|
|1915||Rev. Fredericus Wall|
Rev. Fredericus Ruppert
Rev. Vincent OSB
Rev. Germonus OSB
|1916||Rev. Josephus S. Soughran|
Rev. Franciscus Leuthewager
Rev. Franciscus Woodcutter
|1917||Rev. Joseph Valdez|
Rev. Graham Reynold
Rev. Hugo Harman
|1918||Rev. Immanuel Cordeiro|
Rev. Philip A. Roberge
Rev. Daniel O’Donnell
Rev. C. J. Marceniak
|1919||Rev. Jacobus Buckley|
|1920||Rev. F. Guadalupe|
Rev. Paulus Mulcohy
Rev. M. F. Cordero
Rev. Daniel Kunan
|1921||Rev. Ludovicus Philipparo Genesh|
Rev. Thomas Sullivan
|1922||Rev. John Hegarty 3rd Pastor|
Rev. Emmett F. Paneer
Rev. Eugene Villermary
Rev. L. Philippe Genesh
Rev. Joseph Golob OSB
Rev. Joseph B. Cotter
Rev. Patrick Concannon
|1923||Rev. Austin Flemming|
Rev. William O’Donnell
Rev. M. H. Morris
|1924||Rev. James A. Mayor|
Rev. J. J. V. Organesciak
Rev. R. A. M. Cusker
|1925||Rev. L. Kittder|
Rev. H. I. Collin
Rev. Timothy Galvin
|1926||Rev. John F. O’Brien|
Rev. M. Ryan
Rev. Joseph Clarkin
|1927||Rev. J. J. Shecky|
Rev. Thomas Dowling
Rev. J. Clarkin
|1928||Rev. Louis A. Mulvihill|
|1929||Rev. Robert Lucey, Fourth Pastor|
Rev. William Power
Rev. William Mc Ginley
|1930||Rev. Michael Byrne|
Rev. Charles J. O’Carroll
Rev. Joseph Bouer
|1933||Rev. Jerome C. O’Neill|
Rev. Edward O’Flaherty
Rev. Thomas F. Fogarty
|1934||Rev. George Donohue, 5th Pastor|
Rev. J. F. Nash
|1935||Rev. H. J. McHenry|
|1936||Rev. William Steward, 6th Pastor|
|1937||Rev. Michael Lalard|
|1938||Rev. J. F. Robinson|
Rev. Daniel Sullivan
Rev. Fred Callahar
|1939||Rev. B. J. Dolan, 7th Pastor|
Rev. William Trower
|1943||Rev. J. A. O’Callaghan|
Rev. M. Lalor
|1944||Rev. John McNamara|
|1947||Rev. J. B. Clyne|
|1948||Rev. G. T. Cahill|
|1950||Rev. James E. Hausen|
Rev. Leland J. Boyer
|1955||Rev. P. J. M. Hugh|
|1956||Rev. James A. Rother|
|1957||Rev. Ed. C. Maddox|
Rev. Patrick A. Colleran
|1959||Rev. Dennis Burke|
|1960||Rev. Sylvester F. Ryan (now Bishop)|
|1961||Rev. Ralph Platz|
Rev. Joseph Sartoris (now Bishop)
|1964||Rev. Francis Meskill|
|1965||Rev. Rudy Gorman|
|1966||Rev. William P. O’Rourke|
Rev. Jerome Elder
Rev. Michael Roberts
Rev. Ralph A. Fitzpatrick
|1967||Rev. Raymond Skoveyny|
|1968||Rev. Ernest Gualderon, 8th Pastor|
Rev. Lawrence Triesch
|1969||Rev. James Kossler|
Rev. Anthony Pagnetta
Rev. Anthony Soran
Rev. Horatio Nunez
|1970||Rev. J. Leddy|
|1971||Rev. Brian Doran|
Rev. John Stoeger
Rev. Robert Stein (Deacon in residence)
Rev. David Cousineau
|1972||Rev. R. Woods|
Rev. Stephen Blair
|1973||Rev. Leslie Delgado|
|1974||Rev. Gerard O’Donnell|
Rev. Douglas Ferraro
|1976||Rev. George D. Gallaro|
Rev. Patrick Colleran (in residence)
|1977||Rev. Peter Foran|
Rev. Robert Uzzillio (in residence)
|1978||Rev. Benedict Coerigan|
|1979||Rev. Elinito Santos|
Rev. Domingo France
|1980||Rev. Thomas J. Peacha|
Rev. Altonso Scott
|1982||Rev. John Meilak|
|1988||Rev. Abelardo Lopez|
|1989||Rev. Porfirio Alvarez|
|1991||Rev. Deacon Norberto Ricamora|
|1992||Rev. Ashley Perry, SSJ|
|1994||Rev. Lawrence Caruso, 9th Pastor|
Rev. Juan Motos
|1995||Rev. Joseph Canna|
|1997||Rev. Richard Patterson|
|1998||Rev. Richard Krekelberg, 10th Pastor|
Rev. Freddie Chua
|1999||Rev. Isidoro Garcia, CMG (in residence)|
Rev. Wayne Noble
|2002||Rev. José Magaña|
|2018||Rev. George Aguilera|
Special thanks to Nancy Orozco. Excerpts from St. Anthony’s history book, with updated information.